Huawei says HongMeng OS is not for smartphones, will keep using Android

Sheri Evans
July 20, 2019

On Thursday, the company confirmed that Hongmeng operating system is not for smartphones; instead, the company will continue using Google Android OS for its smartphones.

Huawei didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.

Recently the HongMeng OS was also tested on a few smartphones and testers also shared their experience on the same but since USA administration said that their firm can now resume doing business with Huawei Inder certain conditions, Huawei might have given a second thought on not using the OS for smartphones. However, Huawei board member and senior Vice President Catherine Chen now reportedly says that the new operating system is not meant for smartphones.

Boeing takes $5bn hit to duvet 737 Max crisis
It's not clear when the 737 Max, which is Boeing's top-selling plane, will be cleared by USA and foreign regulators to fly again. The company predicts the troubled 737 Max fleet will have approval to return to operation in the fourth quarter of 2019.

Black Caps welcome home ceremony not possible
Boult finished the tournament with 17 wickets and played a key role in the semi-final and the final. Obviously, we're all hurting and we're sorry for letting everyone down", said Boult.

Dozens killed or injured in Kyoto Animation studio fire in Japan
Speaking to reporters, KyoAn president Hideaki Hatta said that the company had received regular death threats over the years. At least 33 people are dead after a man screaming 'You die!' burst into an animation studio in Japan and set it on fire.

So not only is its in-house OS not created to replace Android, but it appears that Huawei doesn't even have a plan should the worst case scenario decide to rear its ugly head. She added that the operating system had been in development for years and is aimed at businesses that use Internet of Things (IoT).

VP Andrew Williamson had revealed a few weeks ago that they are developing a potential replacement for Android and it will be prepared to make a switch in a few months from then. "It's not something Huawei wants".

The move banned Huawei from acquiring components and technology from American firms without prior USA government approval, under the pretext that the equipment made by the company poses a national security risk. It was previously reported as an alternative to Google's Android. In fact, news of a home-grown operating system by Huawei dates back to 2012. Adding credence to that is our own interactions with Huawei executives, with a "plan B" being worked on in the event that the 90-day deadline laid out by Google in May.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER