Google blocks Huawei phones from using Android apps

Jeannie Matthews
May 20, 2019

A Huawei phone, which will no longer have access to Google apps. "For users of our services, Google Play and the security protections from Google Play Protect will continue to function on existing Huawei devices", said a Google spokesperson.

"We will continue to build a safe and sustainable software ecosystem, in order to provide the best experience for all users globally".

The Chinese phone giant has been blocked by Google from receiving updates for the Android operating system it uses to power its devices, as Google complies with a U.S. executive order restricting access to American technology.

According to data released before the US government listing, Huawei claimed 19 percent of the global smartphone market, the research firm IDC said, trailing only Samsung's 23.1 percent, which was on the decline. However, the Play store access of existing devices will not be revoked, as Google confirmed earlier today.

While the inability to install Google apps such as Chrome, YouTube, and Gmail would be a major problem for many users, there are workarounds - depending on which solution is implemented by the companies.

Existing Huawei phone users needn't worry, as they'll still receive updates and continue to use the apps and services available to them.

Huawei lawyers are also studying the effects of the blacklist, a spokesman for the company said on Friday.

The New Apple TV App Has Arrived
AirPlay 2 will enable users to play media content from their iPhone , iPad or Mac directly to their Samsung Smart TV. However, Apple has made a serious statement about its plans to get viewers switching to its Apple TV+ service.

Jets fire GM Mike Maccagnan, Adam Gase takes over
The Jets replaced the decision-making duo with head coach Adam Gase , naming the recently hired head man the interim GM. The New York Jets are shaking things up in the front office and it'll likely have an impact on things in Philadelphia.

Facebook changes livestream rules after New Zealand shooting
Amanpour noted there have been "over 110 mass shootings in the United States since 1982 ... and 15 school shootings alone this year".

After declaring a national emergency, big names in the USA tech industry have started to comply with the government's ban on doing business with "foreign adversaries", namely China's Huawei Technologies Co, the world's largest provider of networking equipment and No.2 smartphone maker.

Chinese tech firm Huawei has responded to the news that Google has banned it from its Android operating system.

As per a source that is close to the matter, Google was actually forced into suspending business with Huawei that 'requires the transfer of hardware and software products'. That's already commonplace in China, where few official devices have access to Google's app store or other apps, but could be a huge blow to devices elsewhere in the world.

This move by Google stems from an executive order signed by President Trump last week, which placed Huawei and 68 of its subsidies on a trade blacklist. In March, Richard Yu, CEO of Huawei's consumer products division, told a German newspaper that Huawei had prepared its own operating system in case it lost access to Android.

The extent to which Huawei will be hurt by the USA government's blacklist is not yet known as its global supply chain assesses the impact.

Last week, the U.S. made a number of moves against Huawei, and we're already starting to see the effect.

"The conflicts between United States and Chinese producers will have no impact on Russian users as everything works out well", Volin said.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER