Dead Whale in Philippines Had 88 Pounds of Plastic in Its Stomach

Pat Wise
March 19, 2019

"It had been vomiting blood before it died".

Darrell Blatchley, 2015 Datu Bago Awardee President and Founder of D' Bone Collector Museum, told Euornews that at 11 a.m. they were informed the whale had just died and they travelled to the area as fast as they could.

Last year, in Indonesia, a sperm whale was found with six kilograms in its stomach, including more than one hundred throw-away drinking cups.

The autopsy he conducted revealed more than 88 pounds of waste in the young whale's stomach - grocery bags, plastic garbage bags, four banana plantation sacks and 16 rice sacks.

The whale's death follows a report released by the Global Alliance for Incinerator Alternatives which documented a "shocking amount of single-use plastic in the Philippines".

Marine biologists and volunteers from the D'Bone Collector Museum in Davao City, on the Philippine island of Mindanao say the 4.69 metre whale died from "gastric shock" after ingesting 40kgs worth of plastic bags.

Blatchley told CNN its cause of death was dehydration and starvation due to swallowing so much plastic.

MySpace loses 12 years of music during server migration
Tech Expert, and one of the people responsible for building Kickstarter, Andy Baio tweeted his doubts over the announcement. Users of the social network have reported problems accessing their music over the past year.

NZ gunman bought weapons online, says shop owner
Posting a picture of their arms surrender form on Twitter , one said "this is one of the easiest decisions I have ever made". Speaking at a press conference, Ardern said the attack "has exposed a range of weaknesses in New Zealand's gun laws".

Samsung seeks shift to full screen in new smartphones
Galaxy S10 users say that their phone takes screenshots, opens apps and even turns on the flashlight while in a pocket or a purse. During Samsung's S10 keynote last month, the firm revealed it will also be launching a 5G version of the S10 later this year.

He noted that there were so many plastic bags in the animal's stomach that some had begun to calcify.

Blatchley said the whale died because of dehydration and starvation due to plastic ingestion.

Blatchley had said that the ingestion of plastic kills marine animals because these block their gills and stomachs.

"This can not continue", Blatchley said, noting the Philippines ranks as the second most plastic-polluted country in the world.

The death comes just weeks after the Global Alliance for Incinerator Alternative released a report on the "shocking" amount of single-use plastic in the Philippines, including almost 60 billion sachets a year. "The Philippines needs to change from the children up or nothing will be left".

Blatchley and his team work with BFAR and other organizations to assist in rescue and recovery of marine animals.

The museum said via their Facebook page they uncovered an extraordinary amount of plastic in the whale's stomach after conducting an autopsy.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER