Nintendo is scrapping its YouTube Creators Program

Sheri Evans
November 30, 2018

Criticized in the past for handling monetization, Nintendo has made a surprising announcement.

"We will no longer ask creators to submit their videos to the NCP, and creators can continue showing their passion for Nintendo by following Nintendo's guidelines", the corporation says. That decision, and indeed the program as a whole, has largely been seen as backwards and out-of-touch, so Nintendo's decision to close it is a positive step forward for the company. Today, Nintendo announced it would be halting that program at the end of the year in favor of a new set of "basic rules" for video creators. Nintendo states that these guidelines are only applicable to "individual consumers using Nintendo Game Content".

Replacing the program are new guidelines, which are meant to make it easier for creators to monetise their Nintendo videos. The new guidelines can be viewed in their entirety here. The NCP website will be taken down on March 20, 2019. Videos of commentary-free gameplay are not permitted for monetization though. It says gameplay shots and screeners posted using the Nintendo Switch's capture button or record functionality are fine. Nintendo might not make money directly from these videos, but it will promote games to a wider audience and encourage more purchases.

If content creators want to use the intellectual property of a third party, any necessary third-party permissions have to be separately obtained.

Cavs trade Korver to Jazz
The Jazz have been a disappointment so far, and Korver fills the club's need for an outside shooter. The 37-year-old is making $7.56 million this season and is set to make $7.5 million next season.

Manafort lied after pleading guilty, Mueller’s team says
Manafort pleaded guilty to two of those charges on September 14 to avoid trial, and agreed to cooperate with federal prosecutors. Manafort's attorneys said their client disagreed, and that Manafort said he believed he'd provided truthful information.

Storm Diana weather warning for Cumbria extended
A storm will continue to batter the Portsmouth area with heavy winds and rain. . But winds will ease from the south through the period until 2pm on Wednesday.

Naturally, Nintendo still reserves the right to request those platforms to takedown content that violate guidelines or those published on unsupported programs (which may change over time).

More overt and litigious forms of the company's protection of its copyright include allegedly sending cease-and-desist letters to any emulation sites hosting Nintendo games and the shutting down of any and all fan projects. YouTubers, live streamers, and the like won't be able to imply that they're associated with Nintendo or outright sell their videos.

What do you think of these new rules?

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER